Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Project #8: Easy Baby Dress

Who: This one is for my newest niece.  I used the same fabric earlier on the party dress (project #2).  I thought the two girl cousins might enjoy being twins.  Or at least the four year old might.  I'm not sure that the littlest one will be aware or care.  :)

What: I was originally going to use the Itty Bitty Baby Dress by Made by Rae, but changed my mind.  It's super adorable, but I wanted something with fixed straps.  Because of this, I ended up using See Kate Sew's Easy Baby Dress Pattern.  What I liked more about this option was the fixed straps which (bonus!) have elastic in them.  That should still make this one easy to get on and off baby.

Although I followed Kate's tutorial, I did make one significant change.  I cut the bodice pieces 1/2 inch longer, so that I could fold them under and sew the skirt bottom between the layers.  Basically, I took what I learned while sewing the party dress and applied it here.  It was more work, but I like this finish better.  I also top-stiched around the bodice (which I don't think is listed in the tutorial).

Cost: Almost nothing.  I had leftover fabric and thread on hand from the earlier dress.  All I needed to buy for this project was the elastic.  I paid $2.50 for a package at Joann's.

No comments:

Post a Comment