Monday, July 21, 2014

Where Have I Been?

Well, I got side tracked.  I was looking around online last week and got caught up in a series of posts Jess at Craftiness Is Not Optional did on making Barbie® clothes.  Her sewing ideas were super straight forward and seemed easy to do.  And it looked like a great way to bust through my stash of fabric scraps.

Ok, time for a confession.  I was so smitten that I went out and bought a Barbie® just so I could sew her clothes!  I know, I know... it's terrible.  I have since learned, though, that my niece does indeed like to play with Barbies®, so I have someone to gift this doll and wardrobe to.  Whew....  
First up, I started with Jess's ideas for making a dress with darts and a velcro enclosure.  So easy.  And look how cute it turned out!  The belt is made from bias tape and black felt.  I think she looks ready to hit the beach in this dress.

But maybe Barbie® isn't headed to the beach today.  Maybe, instead, she just wants to do some shopping in Santa Barbara.  (Ok, maybe it's just me who wants to do some shopping in Santa Barbara.)  Well, she'll need a cute skirt and tank top for that.  And a cute purse- a must!!  I used Jess's tutorial for both the skirt and the tank top.  The only difference I made was to line the skirt with a contrasting fabric, so that I didn't need to enclose the elastic.

Last item to share today- Pajamas!  For the pants and top, I simply drafted a pattern by tracing a rough outline of Barbie® on to paper.  I added seam allowances and was ready to go.  This is definitely one of my favorite creations- it's just so cute to see Barbie® all cozy in flannel pajamas!

Final Details
 Who: For my niece (eventually)

What: I used some of Jess at Craftiness Is Not Optional's tutorials for Barbie® clothes. 

Cost: Nothing... except for the Barbie®.  Ha ha!!  For the rest, I've just been busting through all my scraps of fabric.  Love it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment