Sunday, July 6, 2014

Project #5: Felt Fringe Christmas Skirt


Who: This one is for myself.  A little selfish, a little early Christmas sewing for myself!  

What: I used the tutorial from Pretty Prudent to make a version of their Felt Fringe Christmas Skirt.   I've been looking for a tree skirt since we moved into our house several years ago.  We have much taller ceilings in our new house and have been getting a 9 or 10 foot tall tree every Christmas.  Unfortunately, finding a tree skirt has been impossible.  I've had three requirements: it has to be large, it has to be non-traditional (especially color-wise), and it has to be cheap.

The ladies at Pretty Prudent do a great job with their tutorial, so I won't bore you with another set of directions.  I will, however, share a little about the dimensions of my skirt.  
  • I used 3 yards of red flannel as my base.  Before beginning, I cut this and sewed it together to make a larger square.  From that, I cut out my skirt base.  
  • I used 1/2 yard each of the four colors to make the fringe.  For all four colors of felt, I cut them into 3 inch high strips (giving me 6 long strips of each color).  I cut my fringe about 3 inches wide.
  • In addition to fringe strips, I also cut 2 inch high strips of the pale pink felt to sew as binding around all the cut edges of my red flannel.  I don't know exactly how much it took to do this, but my guesstimate is that I used a little less than 1 yard of the pale pink felt to make both the fringe and binding.

I absolutely LOVE the end result!!  It's such a big, bright skirt and I can't wait to use it this Christmas!



Cost: I had about half of this fabric in my stash: 3 yards of red flannel, 1 yard of pale pink felt (didn't use it all), and 1/4 yard of white felt.  I bought the (additional) white, fuchsia and teal from Joann's.  In total, I spent $ 7.50 and spent 2 afternoons working on this- maybe 6-8 hours total.

No comments:

Post a Comment